Skip to Content
Eggplant Pesto Sandwiches
- 1 eggplant, cut in 1/4 to 1/2 slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ oz herbed goat cheese
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 1 loaf french bread
- 2 cups loosely-packed spinach
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pull the goat cheese out of the fridge to soften.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2″ slices (too thin and they will burn!) and julienne bell pepper. In a large bowl, toss eggplant with 1 Tbs drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer eggplant to foil lined baking sheet in a single layer and roast immediately, eggplant will absorb too much oil if left sitting too long. Repeat seasoning process with bell pepper and layer on baking sheet. Eggplant tips: Do not slice eggplant too early in advance; it will brown.
- Place eggplant in the oven (middle rack). After 20 minutes, flip the eggplant and add baking sheet of bell pepper to bottom rack of oven to roast. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Prepare the French bread. Slice lengthwise in half. Layer bottom half with pesto. Add goat cheese to the top half.
- When eggplant and bell pepper are done, add eggplant on top of the pesto side. Then layer with spinach and top with bell pepper. Place the top of the French bread on top of the bottom and place back in oven for 5 more minutes. Extra options: Add a layer of grilled chicken to this sandwich for an extra protein boost! Also delicious with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar or a generous shake of “everything but the bagel seasoning”
- Slice and enjoy.